Tuesday, February 18, 2014

More about Penelope Mei

I'm typing this at 7:30 in the morning on Wednesday, which is Tuesday at 5:30 pm for you all. Tuesday was a crazy busy day for us, more on that next post. 

As I type, Penelope is still asleep in the crib after sleeping all night for the second night in a row. 
We are just crazy about her. In a way, she is still something of a mystery. She is obviously still guarding herself, she probably has no clue what in the world is going on here. No idea really of who we are or how long we're going to be around. 
I see some encouraging signs already. Last night it took me a couple of tries to put her down in her crib. She cried. That is a good, good thing! In her orphanage, she wouldn't have cried. She would have had no reason to. No one was coming. No one. The babies learn there is no point in crying. In less than 48 hours, Penelope has learned that she likes having someone to snuggle her so she cried for mama to pick her back up. This is good stuff!
She has giggled a couple of times. Melt. My. Heart!!  I just know she's going to have the sweetest voice. I can't wait to hear more of it.
As you read this, Stop for a second. Think of a 2 year old you know. Think of everything they can say and do. Now please take that expectation and throw it out the window. This is NOT Penelope. She is not anywhere close to what we think of a 2 year old being. In fact, not that close to what we think of a 1 year old. She is much more like a baby. 
I say this not so anyone will feel sorry for her or for us, no sympathy and certainly no sainthood required. I just want our family and friends to have realistic expectations. She has spent 2 years in a crib. Period. She has a lot of catching up to do. I don't think pictures can do justice to how tiny she is. She is literally wearing newborn diapers. I'm sure PT and OT will quickly become a regular part of our life when we get home. 
It will truly be our pleasure and privilege to watch what unfolds for this precious girl. I just know she is going to have the most amazing "before and after" story. 

Getting her footprint for some official adoption paperwork. 
She sucks her thumb and holds her other arm like her big brother Quincy!! To put size in perspective, that outfit is size 9 months. 
I can hold my toys while I suck my thumb! 
Give her a snack and she goes to town! Like in this picture, she often avoids looking at us. We catch her peeking at us a lot when she thinks we're not looking :). 
Extra small, extra large. 
They may or may not be watching The Walking Dead together. Sorry Nanny and Mam. 
So she seems weak, but when she has that bottle it is almost impossible to move those little fingers! I think she might be stronger than she lets on! 
God sets the lonely in families. 
Good night Princess. First night with a family. You will never be lonely again. 











23 comments:

Sarah D said...

I love her. I love her so much.

Harry is jealous of the pictures of Penelope and Gabe.

Anonymous said...

Love Love Love. Thanks for the update!! Can't wait for you all to get back to the JC.

Jacy Ghast

Jill said...

Congratulations to your family. She is precious, and makes my heart happy that she is going to be so loved and never be alone again.

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! Her story makes me wish you could go to the orphanage and bring them all home! ....Deborah Riddle

Holly Emory said...

I really cried when I read this post. I am so happy to see your girl on your lap, in your arms. She is going to amaze everyone.

Kate said...

"Though she be but little, she is fierce!" Shakespeare. She's going to find her fierce :) Much love from back home . . .

The Passalacquas

Emily Volkman said...

Precious Little Baby :)

Anonymous said...

Oh My, I cried when I read the post. She is our beautiful little princess and I know with all the good food and tender loving care she will receive she will flourish!! We were so glad to see her eating when we talked. I don't know why the signal was weak, it has been so good before. You all look so good, can't wait to hug you all on the 28th. Love, Nanny

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to fix her some of Nanny's chicken and noodles and mashed potatoes. Nanny

Sarah D said...

From Jack--
She looks like Quincy sucking her thumb.

Gabe, When you get home play Madden 13 with me, call my Mom and I'll tell you how we can get on and play multi-player.

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful! Gabe is going to be her protector! You guys are so very blessed!

Love
Gary and Terri

Anonymous said...

She is amazingly beautiful. Simply can not wait for the next post.
Ashley McReynolds

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful addition to your family! She is one very blessed little girl! I can't believe how tiny she is. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!
Lindsey Buck

Anonymous said...

It's great to see her on her Mama's lap. She's amazing!
The Richards Family

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Look forward to your posts everyday. Thank you for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing all of these pictures of her and this amazing journey God has sent you all. You can see a lot of mystery and intrigue in those eyes, but also happiness. ❤
Grant, dawn and girls

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on such a beautiful little girl. I can't believe the difference one night makes. The difference in the picture of her almost smiling and her first picture is amazing. Love makes all the difference. I will admit I suffered some Penelope blog withdrawal today. I kept checking and nothing and man that was hard. I had to call Sheryl and see if everything was going okay. You all have enriched our lives in so many ways. Thank you for sharing this miraculous journey with us. I agree, her before and after pictures are going to be amazing. Just keep posting. We here back in JC are enjoying every post and smile. You all look so happy and are absolutely glowing with love. Penelope you are truly blessed with a loving family. I have read so many of the adoption stories and they all have one thing in common. LOVE and lots of it. You guys keep enjoying each other and please keep sharing. We are totally LOVING it back home. Love and prayers Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Our kids are excited that they will be able to hold her. Lily is beside herself with excitement. We will look back in awe one day at how little and quiet she is. She will probably need to be put on the porch one day ;). Miss you guys. Thanks for taking the time to share.
The Biermans

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the day is to sit down and read and re read your blog posts. Penelope is growing stronger every day. She will be running the house with her big brothers before you know it. She seems so calm and relaxed. I just can't wait to meet her.

Brooke Harvey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post! We can't seem to get enough. She is simply beautiful. So happy for everyone that will get to meet this precious child!
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

You guys look so happy and she can feel the love you guys have for her.When she gets home she will take off growing because she has parents who love her and aren't going to leave here .You guys are so great doing what you are doing God bless all of you .Can't wait to meet her

Anonymous said...

There is just something about these pictures of Gabe and Penelope! They already have that big brother/little sister bond going on, don't they!
Sounds like you are super busy each day. Thank you for taking time to share with us and document this for Penelope. She is going to love the details when she grows up and reads HER STORY from her Momma's heart.
Have a great free day. We continue to pray for you all.
BAMN Tarr

Tera said...

Oh my! I can see how tiny! Itty bitty wrists and in the footprint pic- she little leg is teeny!!! Congrats to you all! Love seeing families brought together!

 
Blog Design by: Simply Yours Designs