Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Free Day

Wednesday was a free day for us. We were definitely ready for it! We all finally slept late, till about 6:00am. This really is late for me, I usually get up at 4:30 to go to work. Penelope slept even later. She woke up with a completely full diaper (actually a blow out. Welcome back to diapers, Jason & Michelle). She also woke up with the cutest case of bed head ! 

We changed her sleeper and gave her her first bottle of the day. She likes to hold her bottle herself but she is much more agreeable to letting us hold it for her too, no more death grip. We hope she is learning that she can count on us to feed her whenever she is hungry and that her food will not be taken away. 
Yum-She loved oatmeal!!
We had a lazy morning in the room. She got a bath- she does not like it at all! She is quite capable of sitting up on her own but so far has not chosen to show off that skill at bath time. It takes both of us so far. 
*if anyone has a bath seat/ring we could borrow when we get home let Sarah know. I don't think we'll need it long so not gonna buy one if I don't have to...*
More fun picking out her outfit for the day. I haven't even tried a lot of the clothes I brought. I'm guessing she's going to be swimming in them. I thought she looked awfully cute in this! 
I know, her shoes look huge. 6-12 mos Robeez :). 
 The way she's sitting in the first couple of pictures is how she is a lot of the time. Unless she's interested in something, then her skill level miraculously increases...
 Will sit like a big girl for food! 

Happy girl at the breakfast buffet. 
Housekeeping was ready to clean our room when we got back. Little things like housekeeping are a challenge. If you call for pillows or wash clothes, who knows what you may get. I was trying to tell the housekeeper to please change the sheets because the baby had crumbs everywhere. Later a big stack of sheets came to the room (she did change the sheets too). The thing is, it's not her, it's us. We're the foreigners. Such a different experience!!

We walked around the hotel a bit while our room got cleaned. First stroller ride!!
Jason and Gabe went to check out the fitness center while Penelope and I hung out in the lobby. In a few minutes I noticed a certain smell and realized a diaper change was in order. The ladies room in our hotel lobby did not have a changing table so I improvised. Luckily she is tiny. I put the toilet seat lid down and changed her there. Yes,I used the changing pad. Still, what a cluster! I was sweating, she was crying. Poop on my hands. Try changing the diaper of a limp noodle on an unstable surface. Again, welcome back. 

We decided we had been gone long enough and went back to the room. Penelope took a bottle and a great nap. She woke up to more poop. Everywhere. Outfit ruined-check. Poop on personalized blanket-check. Clean room now smells terrible-check. 
Desperate times did indeed now call for desperate measure. I summoned up everything I learned watching Little House on the Praire and washed the clothes. In the sink. Caroline Ingalls style. 
The positive side- costume change!! Another new outfit and hair bow. 
 
We took a walk down the street to a local park. Again, walking anywhere feels like taking your life in your hands! 
This isn't the street. It's the sidewalk. 
Gabe is becoming the master of taking pictures incognito. He just leaves the camera hanging and snaps away. 
So about the masks- many Chinese people wear them due to the terrible pollution/smog. I have seen so many fashionable variations including minky, plaid, leopard print, & characters on kids. 
It was nice to be out. We enjoyed the park, I'm sure it's beautiful in the spring. We got totally chastised by a group of Chinese grandmas. The clothing police. Penelope was not wearing enough in their opinion. They spoke Chinese but they also spoke the universal language- judgement ;). They pulled her pants up and took off her shoes to checkout her tiny feet. This is not uncommon here so we weren't offended. We showed them our badges that say we are adopting her and they gave us thumbs up :). The babies here are so bundled they literally can't put their arms down. 
We had a quiet night, ate in the hotels Italian restaurant. Penelope loves Pizza! Can't wait to take her to Joe's!! Fell asleep early and we all slept through the night again. 
This is the view beside me right now. 
 
I'm ready for her to wake up! Today is another free day while our paperwork is being processed. We are all ready to come home. 8 more days. 
Loving all your comments! I plan to print them all to save for Penelope. I started this blog as a way to document this for her, I always say I have such a bad memory. I don't want to forget any of this. I never imagined so many people would read and enjoy it. The support and encouragement is wonderful. We are overwhelmed! We are so blessed to be part of such a wonderful community. We miss you JC!!





















25 comments:

Sarah D said...

I love seeing pictures of her and J.

The way she holds those biscuits ;-) Just the cutest, cutest thing!

It's Awana night. I'll hurry and share this post on facebook so all of the FBC family can see it before church.


Sarah D said...

BTW--this post proves that "Everything I need to know I learned from watching LHOP"

Anonymous said...

She is so so so tiny!! Im so glad she is finally with her family! I hope you always update so we can watch her grow!! I am so happy for you, ALL!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Lexie and Piper loved the new pictures of "menelope" We can't wait to meet you!

- The Ghast's

Michelle P. said...

Loving your posts, Michelle!!! Wanted you to know that Kai had the same "blow out" experience that you mention here. It was only really bad for one day, so hopefully Penelope will have a similar experience. She's a beauty!!!

Tammy said...

Have enjoyed following your posts so much in the blessing of your new daughter. What a wonderful way for her to have this saved as her new beginnings. We are all lucky you have shared this with us.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! Shes absolutely perfect!!

Anonymous said...

So happy for your family and for all of us who have been privileged to witness your blessing!

Megan said...

Elizabeth saw Penelope for the first time today and she says pretty baby. I have a feeling Penelope will adapt to her new family without any issues. I have a feeling she is going to be an Since its so different over there, do the children there get shots or does she have to basically start from scratch when she gets home, and before you leave does she have to go through a check up or is that a wait till she is home? Just wondering how that all works. And Welcome back to blow outs!!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love reading these posts. Thanks to Sarah for sharing! What a blessing!

The Riddle's

Becky Johnson said...

So glad things are going good for all of you can't wait till you get home also still praying for all of you

Anonymous said...

I love the pics! And the commentary! Her tiny body has probably never had such good food! Enjoy your time ...all is well with Q....

Love
Gary and Terri

Anonymous said...

Wish we could have face timed longer this evening, but we don't have a very good signal at church. I told our Awana kids about Penelope and how she is adapting to her forever family. They have been praying for her for a long time. Love all the pics, Gabe you are becoming quite the photographer, but be careful on the streets. That is Grandma James talking!! Love you all, Nanny

Anonymous said...

Isn't it cute how she holds her biscuit/cookie with every finger touching it. I know someone else who used to do the exact same thing with sausage patties. It is hard to believe the first posts about your trip -- sights and places of interest in China-- we're only a few days ago. It seems like so much has happened in the last 2-3 days. As soon as I wake up I stalk your blog too see what all has happened on the other side of the world. It is hard to remember the pre-Penelope days. Faithfully praying for you all. Sending love from JC.
BAMN

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying reading your blog. It has become the first thing I check when I log into the computer. Penelope is beautiful, congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I think there are a lot of stalkers in JC. Michelle, you have the only cure and that is for more posts. So enjoying the journey, but we miss seeing the whole family. Doesn't seem complete without Dexter and Quincy. I can only imagine how much you are missing them, BUT you will be home in 8 short days and then the fun begins. She already loves her biggest brother and her other two will be wrapped around her fingers in no time. It will be interesting to see her come out of her shell and see her become more confident. It is interesting to see the different expressions on her face. That picture of her sitting on the bed looks to me like she is saying seriously mom, you do not have to so excited about an outfit change. Love you guys and enjoy your time. Thanks again for sharing your adventure and we all do love seeing you all look so happy. Her face when she holds the biscuit at breakfast buffet is priceless. Also love the pictures of the grandmothers. I always bundled my kids up they would sweat. Mom always made fun of me for covering them so much. Love and prayers sent. Carolyn C

Debbie Diel said...

She continues to be beautiful and just what we have prayed for!! I see so much progress every time we see her. I loved the ladies in the park!! Glad I got to see a picture of them!!! I am sure I would have totally agreed with them, just wouldn't say it. I have told you how I bundled you girls up when you were little!! Gabe, you are not a paparazzi in training are you? We love you all!!
Mam and Bamp

Anonymous said...

She has the tiniest little fingers, she just melts my heart. I love to see her holding her cracker things with both of her tiny little hands. Its just the cutest thing!! :-).
Brooke Harvey

Unknown said...

Love the pictures and stories. I cry every day when I read your blog, it's so amazing. I have to say again what special people you and Jason are and how lucky Penelope is. Someday she will realize it too.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable! Congratulations
Carie Shinn

Jill Cucinella said...

Joe's can't wait to have her eat our pizza! I think I can even arrange delivery for this special little girl! I told Sarah on Facebook it saddens me to know she was hungry for so many things...food, family, and love...Thank God she has it all now! Praying for your sanity living in a hotel and the dreaded 14 hour flight with a baby...eek! It won't be long, "There's No Place Like Home"!

Anonymous said...

I am overwhelmed by all that you have gone through to get your sweet Penelope. I love reading your Blog and looking at all the wonderful pictures. I'm sure it is an experience you will never forget. Your love shines through for this sweet little girl, I have no doubt that God was in on this from the very start. May you all be blessed always!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, my friend JoLee Reichert shared this blog with me. We live in Marshall, and are in the process of adopting with CCAI! After reading your blog , I am more convinced than ever that this is the path God is leading us on. I was a little nervous about the trip to China, but this is like a step by step guide of what to expect! Thank you.

MW

Keeping up with the Lauritzen's said...

So so happy for your family! Penelope is beautiful!

Keeping up with the Lauritzen's said...

So so happy for your family! Penelope is beautiful!

 
Blog Design by: Simply Yours Designs