Wednesday, February 19, 2014

It's Official!!

Yesterday was a big day. We finalized Penelope's adoption! While we have felt like she was ours since we first saw her picture back in June, it was amazing to have the piece of paper in our hands. She is now legally and officially Penelope Mei ZiShu Fulton. 

We got up early to get ready and ate breakfast at our hotel's breakfast buffet, which is so good! 
Back to the room and bundled up. 
We went back to the Civil Affairs office where we got Penelope the day before. Our guide had already done the paperwork so it didn't take too long. 
The Official gave us our adoption decree while our guide translated. 
3 sets of parents, 4 children!! Vern and Terry with their 2 sweet boys, Joshua and Elijah. Our new friends Charlene and Joel with their Emma. 4 children that just 2 days before were orphans! 
About Emma- she's in the pink coat. Does anyone remember Penelope's birthday pictures? 
That's Emma in the grey stripes beside her! I had connected with her mama online just before we left. What are the chances that these 2 girls would get their forever families on the same day? And I'm telling you, she has the sweetest parents! I hope Emma gets her mama's southern accent! 
Next we drove to the notary office. I don't really know what happened there, something official that involved money changing hands. The notary office was on the 6th floor. No elevator. I thought I already climbed the Great Wall of China!
We went back to our hotel for a quick lunch. Penelope did not like the baby rice cereal. If she doesn't like it, she lets us know. Specifically, she threw herself back on the bade and arched her back and kicked her legs. We wer so glad to see some fire in her! She loved these squeezable fruit things. 
Next we headed to Luoyang, Penelope's birth city. We needed to return there to apply for Penelope's passport. 
The driving in China is hilarious. No rules. Lots of honking. Lots of scooters and people on bicycles. I keep my eyes closed a lot. Jason of course wants one of these for the football team. 
No car seats in China. Just hold your baby. Luckily Penelope slept most of the way there. 
At the passport building. So many people there applying for passports! Everyone stares at us. Our guide says people in China don't necessarily know about adoption. With out "noticeable" family we're somewhat used to this, but we were a side show! 
I can't imagine how long people would have to wait in there, but per our guide, we get VIP treatment. We went right to the front of the line and we're back on our way. Now we need them to process her passport by the end of this week. 

After that, we went to Penelope's finding spot. I am not going to share details or pictures because that is Penelope's story to tell if and when she chooses to do so. I will say, extremely emotional. Many, many tears shed by this mama. 

Next we went to Penelope's orphanage. I think I'm still processing what I saw there. I also don't want to say too much at all about it while we're still here in China. 
We were able to bring the orphanage donations which were obviously needed. Thanks again for all the great clothes for the kids there. 
We handed out suckers to the kids and saw Penelope's crib mate. I was able to check on a little guy for another waiting mama. 
We met Penelope's nanny's. They did seem very happy she has a family. 

Outside her orphanage. 
Penelope's room looked like this but full of babies, not Minnie's. 
Penelope with her nannies. The one holding her was "her" nanny. 
Jason said Penelope definitely recognized her. She was fine to go to her but was also fine to come back to me. She's still not showing much emotion. Her nanny says she smiles and plays. I think she is just somewhat shut down still right now. Can't wait to watch her come of of her shell! 
As we left, Jason told her "never again". So true. She will never be on her own again. 
Tuesday was a long, emotional day. I don't want to do it again but I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

Again, thanks everyone for all the comments. We are reading each and every one. We appreciate or so much! Today is Wednesday for us. We have the day off while the other family we are traveling with goes to their 2nd son's birth city. We were ready for the down time! Only 9 more days till we can come home!! Single digits!!
















16 comments:

Megan and family said...

Wow what a day, I'm sure what you saw and heard is hard, but from here on out she will be loved by so many and never alone again!! Itty loves those fruit squeeze things also and hated the baby cereal and oatmeal stuff, have you ever tasted it, its nasty. We are thinking about you guys and praying for Penelope to continue bonding with her forever family.
Enjoy your free day!!
John Megan and izzy

Unknown said...

I told Sarah I would be her crazy aunt. Sarah told me I could be her Fairy Godmother. I like the thought of that role . Miss you guys can 'wait for you to be HOME.
Jackie

Sarah D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah D said...

Official!!

So glad you got to see Emma! (who is a girl??)
and thanks for the Terry and Vern update, you know I will have a lot of questions about them.

6 floors? You doing that should be a blog post written by Jason.

Anonymous said...

Wow.... this is simply amazing! We wish you all the best and pray for an easy transition for Penelope! Safe travels.

Scott & Angie Kocher

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! the adoption is complete! But she has been a Fulton since the very first picture. You go Penelope! Throw that Fulton Fit!!
So glad she is starting to express herself, that little personality is going to shine through very soon. My heart breaks at the conditions you have described, and what little you have told us about the finding spot, Oh my!! She is a miracle;
God knew before she was born that she would be in our family. It also breaks my heart to think some nights she may have went to sleep hungry but now she will have plenty and will never be alone again. I wish we were younger and could go bring some of those precious babies home to raise. Love you all, Nanny

Debbie Diel said...

I have no words....just LOVE to send you. I am so glad that day is over. I am so anxious to get you all home. She is still looking good. I am glad to see her eating those squeeze fruit things. I have always wanted to buy those for someone. We are praying so hard for all of you. God has blessed you so much. Watching another of your dreams come true does an old Mam's heart good! I can't wait! We love you so much!!!
Mam and Bamp

Kate said...

I guess she now has two finding spots, old and new. Love reading your updates - so glad you "found" her and she found you :)

The Passalacquas

Unknown said...

Some roads are easy, some are hard, hers has been long and twisty and bumpy and complex and confusing. And that's a lot for such a little peanut. But as twisty as it's been it always leads somewhere, her somewhere just happens to be home.

Kelley

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nanny. God knew she would be a Fulton before she was born. I love her fit she threw. I can just see Quincy telling her don't worry, if you don't like it ask for a corndog. I love that commercial where the dad and son are painting the baby's room pink and I can see Penelope having saying to her brothers let's have a tea party and them all sitting around a little table drinking their tea. Some may not think it will happen but I bet she has tem wrapped around her little finger. Your family is so very precious. Thank you for sharing. Love and prayers. Carolyn

Sheryl_B said...

Love following your journey! Congratulations to all of you! Penelope is so precious is loved by so many individuals! She is one lucky girl!

Kristy Grissom said...

I keep checking here throughout the day to see if there are updates- thanks for sharing this journey with all of us! My heart aches for the babies still in need of families.
Continuing to pray for safe travels and smooth transitions for each of you, and that all the paperwork that needs to go through, does on time!

Anonymous said...

She already has a different expression about her. She is looking more at ease in her surroundings. It's amazing the changes that are already apparent and that are even captured in pictures. She almost had a smile in one picture. The one of her & Gabe watching the Walking Dead from your previous post has been my favorite so far...they just look comfortable. What a beautiful family you have created. Looking forward to every post...as is Hadley. She has the babydoll waiting for Penelope...I don't know where she got it or how long she's had it but it is Chinese;) Get home safe. Love to you all.
The Zumbahlens

Unknown said...

Wow! Sniff... sniff!! I ejoy reading your updates and pics... I check your blog several times a day. LOL!!! I am happy Miss "P" has a wonderful life ahead of her. She reminds me a little of Paislee.

Delaine said...

I am enjoying reading your blog. we will travel probably around sept. I was wondering if the family adopting the two boys at once is keeping a blog? we are considering adopting two at once and I love to read other people's perspectives on the whole thing. I am not sure how you could even let me know. Iam on facebook and my email is we3spruills@yahoo.com

Alex moner said...

And I'm telling you, she has the sweetest parents! I hope Emma gets her mama's southern accent! home safe reviews

 
Blog Design by: Simply Yours Designs