Saturday, October 5, 2013

6 Years

On September 30th Dexter turned 6. Where have the last 6 years gone??

6 years since Gabe and I were at Disney with YaYa and Jack.
6 years since we watched Wishes and I wished so hard for a baby.
6 years since he was born just 3 nights later.
6 years since I was sitting in class in Terre Haute when I got a phone call at 8:30 pm. It was Kirsten, our adoption attorney. There was a baby boy.
6 years since she said pick him up at 5:30pm tomorrow if you want him.
6 years since I stood in the hall listening to her words, but somehow not hearing them, afraid to hope they could be true.
6 years since I slid down the wall and my dear friend Eliza took over, listening to everything Kirsten told us needed done to pick this baby up tomorrow.
6 years since our dearest and truest helped us know the path we were on was the one, because how often is there a Camry in the McClanes parking lot?
6 years since we decided not to tell anyone else, because sometimes these things don't work out, you know?
6 years since I had nothing for a baby, cause I didn't want to jinx anything. So Eliza took over. Meet me back here at 7:00 tomorrow morning she said.
6 years since Eliza drove me all over Terre Haute, she put baby stuff in the cart and I wrote checks.
6 years since Jason and I had to decide a name for a baby we'd never met over the phone.
6 years since Gabe came home from school and got the surprise of his life when we gave him a card and a movie (Jungle Book) signed "from your baby brother"
6 years since Gabe immediately pledged to teach his brother to blow spit bubbles.
6 years since Jason looked at his watch and decided he had time to  go back to football practice before we picked up the baby.
6 years since Jason, Gabe and I drove to the hospital. We waited for the attorney to call us to tell us we could come up and get our boy.
6 years since we rode the elevator up with the fancy new car seat in our hands,
6 years since we walked onto the floor I knew so well, but somehow everything was different
6 years since we saw the amzaing baby boy who was immediately our son as much as anyone could ever be a son.
6 years since he was ours.
6 years since we got to make the most amazing phone calls ever. Come now. You have a grandson. You have a nephew. You have a cousin. You have a friend.
6 years since I walked around with my head so high in the clouds, in some ways I said too much. My joy could not be contained.
6 years since once tiny little boy changed the face of our family forever.
6 years since one brave, brave girl made the impossible decision to give her son the life she wanted him to have.
6 years since her selfless choice started this family on a journey that will ultimately take us around the world.















6 years since we couldn't imagine our life without this amazing boy.

We love you so much Dexter James Fulton!
                                                    

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by: Simply Yours Designs